Disc Bulge – AcuHealth Chiropractic Columbus Ohio
A Disc Bulge is a very common cause for acute low back pain. A disc is a shock absorbing structure or “cushion” that is situated between two vertebrae in the spinal column.
These discs are primary composed of collagen and water. They have two distinct regions that each perform a specific function in the spine.
The annulus fibrosis is the outer portion of the disc and is made up of several layers of collagen. These layers are arranged in a pattern much like the inner metal fibers of a radial tire. This configuration gives tensile strength to the disc structure.
The inner portion of the disc is called the nucleus pulposis. The nucleus is like a fluid filled marble that assists in movement of the spinal bones above and below the disc.
When there is an injury to the disc it causes the annular fibers to tear. This allows the nucleus pulposis to migrate towards the edge of the disc causing a bulge or herniation.
Conservative treatment of this type of problem in my office includes:
1. Chiropractic Adjustments to properly align the structures and reduce the abnormal pressure on the disc that initially caused the problem.
2. Ice to reduce inflammation in the affected area. This should be applies at the rate of 20 min. per hour without direct contact to the skin.
3. Spinal Decompression Therapy therapy to alleviate the disc bulge by creating a negative pressure in the disc space. This allows the the nucleus pulposis to migrate back to its normal position.
4. Gentle stretching once the acute phase of the injury is over and working into a home strengthening program to avoid future problems.
5. Medications can be prescribed by your medical doctor for short term relief of inflammation. We work with your medical doctor to assure that you get the fastest relief possible.